Question & Answer

1. What is the procedure to study in Canada?

The first step is to get admission to a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) recognized by the government of Canada. Once an individual receives a letter of acceptance from a DLI, he or she may be able to apply for a study permit. Applications may be made online or by mail.

All new study permits are issued at a Canadian port of entry. An applicant who has submitted an application to a foreign Canadian Visa Office will be issued a letter of approval advising him or her to travel to a Canadian port of entry to have the study permit issued. A study permit is generally issued for the duration of the person’s studies.

2. How much does it cost to study in Canada?

Tuition fees vary based on institution. Please contact the administration where you intend to study for more information.

3. Do I need to show proof of funds when applying for a study permit?

Canada study permit applicants need to prove they have sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, and financial capacity to support living expenses for the first year of study.  This table shows minimum funds required to support yourself as a student and family members who come with you to Canada:

Number of people All provinces except Quebec
Single student Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month)
For one accompanying family member add: $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month)
For each additional family member, add: $3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month)

In Quebec, the financial requirements for prospective students are different. In addition to tuition fees, a prospective international student is required to show that he or she has the following funds, dependent on his or her situation.

4. What’s the difference between a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa?

While a study permit authorizes international students to pursue their studies while in Canada, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows a person to enter Canada. Depending on the country of citizenship, an international student may need a TRV for entry.

For overseas applications, applicants from countries whose citizens require TRV in order to enter Canada will be issued a TRV automatically if the application for a study permit is approved. These applicants do not need to submit a separate application for a TRV and there is no separate fee. The same applies to applicants from countries whose citizens need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter Canada by air.

5. Are scholarships available to international students in Canada?

Scholarships may be available to international students from private, government or public institutions in Canada. There may be scholarships available to international students from the study institution of choice.

6. Are IELTS or CELPIP required in order to submit a study permit application?

Please note that most Canadian Universities and colleges may require IELTS or proof of language proficiency in order to gain admission. However, please note that this is an admission requirement and not a requirement for a Canadian Study Permit unless applying through the Student Partner Program. Therefore, it is advisable that you verify with the academic institution you wish to attend to determine if IELTS is required and the scores needed.

7. What is biometric identification and do I need it for a study permit?

Canada requires citizens of certain countries to have their biometrics (fingerprints and photographs) provided.  For a complete list of countries that require biometric identification.

8. Is a study permit required for short courses?

An applicant is not required to obtain a study permit for a program, which is less than six months in duration. However, if a course is longer than six months, the prospective student will need to apply for a study permit.

There are benefits to applying to a study permit even if you are applying to a program that is less than six months. Even if you do not need a study permit, it may be beneficial to apply for one. In the event that you decide to continue studying in a new program after completing your short-term studies, without a study permit, you may be required to leave the country and apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada. To apply for a permit for a short-term course or program, your studies must be at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).



Visit Canada

Study in Canada

Work in Canada

Immigrate to Canada



Our office

#505-666 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 3P6, Canada
Tel: (604) 788-9864
Fax: (604) 688-2419